Don’t forget your fiber !

| |
I know that when I restrict, it’s hard to get everything I need in order to stay healthy. I used to not care and, as many of us, I just completely cut anything that had more than 5o calories a serving. But I am now older and wiser (haha) and I’ve learned one thing: fiber is a key to rapid and constant weight lost.

But I am sure you know all that! But wait, did you know that the average American only eats between 20 and 50% of their daily fibre intake? Not good. I know it’s a burden for most to eat fiber (does not taste that good) but it is really a taste you learn to appreciate, no kidding! Here's a list of 10 easy ways to increase your fibre consumption:
  1. Choose a fibre rich cereal. Choose a cereal that has at least 4 grams of fibre per serving.
  2. Add a high fibre cereal to your regular cereal. Choose a cereal that has at least 10 grams of fibre per serving and sprinkle it on your regular cereal.
  3. Eat more fruit. Limit juice and try to eat the whole fruit. Have fruit for a snack or dessert. Don’t forget to eat the skin on fruits like apples and pears. That is where most of the fibre is.
  4. Add one more vegetable to your diet today. Vegetables are low in calories and high in fibre and nutrition.
  5. Add beans and lentils. Add beans or lentils to your tossed salad, spaghetti sauce, or soups.
  6. Choose whole grain and whole wheat breads and pasta. Look for terms like “100% whole grain”, or 100% whole wheat”.
  7. Add ¼ cup of wheat bran, oat bran or ground flax to your baking.
  8. Use hummus or other bean dips for spreads on sandwiches instead of mustard and mayonnaise.
  9. Add dried fruit, nuts or seeds to cereal, salads or yogurt.
  10. Substitute half the white flour for whole wheat flour in your favorite recipes.
Remember to add fibre slowly to your diet. Switching from a low fibre to high fibre diet in one day can cause constipation and cramps.

Make sure to drink water when you are increasing your fibre intake. Aim for 6-8 cups per day.

Also, this little calculation will tell you exactly how many grams of fiber you should eat daily.

Hope this helps!

0 comments:

Post a Comment